Saturday, October 12, 2013

Compassion... Christmas?


I don’t remember the day, but it came, the day I stopped dreaming. It just sorta happened. Before I even realized it, I was content with putting God in a box. He can only do so much, you know.

I know the stories- Abraham, Moses, David, Esther- people who did amazing things with God. The problem is though, that my focus was always on what the people did. So I thought, Not me God. I’m not quite right for this.

Turns out, my eyes have been on the wrong person all along. See, it’s not about what they did really. It’s about God. Isaac was spared by God’s mercy, the waves parted by His hand, the giant went down by God’s power, and a people group were blessed because of His favor. Without God, these awesome things wouldn’t have even happened.

I don’t remember the day, but it came, the day I started dreaming again. It just sorta happened. Before I even realized it, God was standing on the box. He can do whatever He wants, you know. So He does. He does some crazyawesomeinspiring things. Suddenly, I’m asking Rebekah for her photos and putting them on Christmas cards. I was clicking and confirming and a couple hundred cards were arriving.

See, I know it’s easy to forget, but God commands us to live our lives with compassion. Painful, messy, lovely compassion.

This Christmas I am practicing this living compassion. I’ve chosen not to accept gifts this year. An unconventional sacrifice. Instead of giving me a gift, just give something, anything, to someone who really needs it. I'm not doing this because I want a pity party, a pat on the back, or my name in the paper- but because the only thing I need and want cannot be bought. 

Because when everyone is opening their gifts, hearts feeling full, 
I want mine to feel full knowing that someone truly in need, received.

There are hungry children- dying hungry- right now.
There are thirsty children-dying thirsty- right now.
There are orphaned children-dying orphans- right now.

And I don’t think they're praying for a wii or an $80 coat… 
they just want some love. 
They just want someone to wrap their arms around them and tell them that they are a gift, infinitely more valuable than any possession.

Christ spoke and this Christmas it’s all about compassion.
To find out how you can get in on this compassion movement, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa - You're a remarkable young lady, I wish I had the opportunity to watch you grow up the past few years. Blessings, John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brother John! Thank you for your kind words. God bless you!

    Our families will have to hang out again soon!

    ReplyDelete