Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Thing That Keeps Me Up Late

What is it, you may ask, that keeps me up at 11 pm on a Thursday night, writing?

Well, it's actually pretty easy to answer.

It's the same thing that makes me pray for someone I don't know.
It's the same thing that makes me cry for those in pain.
It's the same thing that helps me be patient with the little kiddies.
It's the same thing that compels me to pay for that lady's meal.
It's the same thing that weighs so heavy on my heart. All the time.

It's the same thing that God had when He sent His Son to take my place.
It's the same thing that Christ had for the sick, blind, mute, deaf, dead, lost in sin, and suffering.

It's the same thing that drives pastors and teachers and doctors and missionaries.
It's the same thing that inspires people to open shelters and feed strangers and adopt babies and love the broken.

It's the thing that changes the world.

Compassion.

Pure, painful, compassion.

You see, this feeling in my chest right now is not pleasant.
My eyes burn as it brings tears to my eyes. My throat is getting tight.
My heart is beating faster and faster, as compassion wells up inside of me.

Compassion is literally the breaking of your own heart for others. 

Only, you don't do nothing with the heartbreak.

You act. You get up at 11 pm and write.
You pray. You give. You bless. You cook. You clean. You hug. You fix. 
You love.

You don't talk about it.

You just get up and do it.

Compassion.

2 comments: