Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Walls Came Tumbling Down


It always amazes me that I can hear a story dozens of times and still not really get it...
I grew up singing the “Joshua fought the battle of Jericho...” song. I knew the story. God’s people did what God said- and God brought victory.
I guess my seven-year-old self enjoyed the story or the song because I remembered it all these years, but I hadn’t yet learned.
Joshua was commanded by God to lead His people. The land of Jericho was to be their land. Unfortunately, the people of Jericho weren’t too thrilled about giving it away. They’d have to fight. To make the odds stack higher against Joshua, the city was surrounded by a huge wall.
Then, at the risk of being completely humiliated, Joshua (who had just spoken to a man of God) had to tell the people that they would gain victory by marching around the wall. Once a day, for six days. And seven times, on day seven.
I’m sure at least one person said, “Really Joshua?! I’ve got this great new sword that I really wanna use.. couldn’t we fight this battle with some weapons?”
I’m sure that more than one person agreed with him. Yet, they did exactly as God commanded them. They displayed crazy, victory-making-faith by simply doing what God said. Yes, they looked odd. Yes, they were laughed at. And Yes, God showed up.
In the radical and illogical situation, God made a way. Just as He did at the Red Sea, He worked and brought victory against all odds. And because of His past miracles, the people of Jericho feared the Israelites (Joshua 6:1). It’s funny how I never even knew that part.
So what have I learned/relearned from the story of the battle of Jericho?
Well, for some reason, I see so clearly that the battle of Jericho was a miracle
There is no way that marching around a wall should make it fall, but it did. 
There is no way that the Israelites should have won that battle, but they did. 
God calls us to have crazy-faith. He wants us to trust Him and His mighty power. He wants to give us a Promised Land, even if common sense says No way!
He wants to fight the battle and bring victory. If we could just obey Him..


Ah, obedience. There is the lesson learned. Obedience is the strongest weapon we have. It is stronger than the sword. It is stronger than your own plan. Why? Because obedience is self-sacrificial. It’s  Not-my-way-Lord in action.
When we deny ourselves and just obey God, we open the door for God to do whatever He chooses. When we rely on our own power, our own weapons, we fail miserably. You see, we need God

On my own, I am not strong/perfect/good enough to do anything worthwhile. But when I just obey, I allow God’s power to take control and go exceedingly above my own little expectations.
Obey God. And watch the walls fall down.

No comments:

Post a Comment