Saturday, November 24, 2012

Bragging- The Only Good Kind


My mouth is filled with your praise,
    declaring your splendor all day long.
My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,
    of your saving acts all day long—
    though I know not how to relate them all.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
    I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long,
    for those who wanted to harm me
have been put to shame and confusion.
~Psalms 71:8, 15-17, 24


Psalms 71 is one of my favorite chapters. I have a bunch of markings all over it. 
I’ve underlined so much- and circled phrases that stood out to me.

[Side Note: If you want to start reading your Bible, but don’t know where to start, try Psalms. It’s so relatable.]

So anyways, I’ve read this chapter dozens of times and this time, I learned something new. Those verses stood out to me, not because they were underlined or circled, but because they all talk about God-bragging. Each verse boasts about God’s splendor, righteousness, salvation, mighty acts, marvelous deeds, etc.

God-bragging.

We know that bragging about ourselves is not very classy, but bragging about God?... Oh, it’s more than classy!

Did you know that we’re actually supposed to brag about God?

God says in Jeremiah 9:24, “If you brag, brag of this and this only: That you understand and know me. I’m God, and I act in loyal love. I do what’s right and set things right and fair, and delight in those who do the same things. These are my trademarks.”


He wants us to brag about Him, 
praise Him, 
and thank Him 
for all He is, 
all He’s done, 
and all He will do.

Praise Him for His loyalty, His righteousness, His amazing acts. 
Don’t you think He’s deserving?

He saved you from yourself. Brag about Him.
He redeemed and freed you. Brag about Him. 
He picked you up and carried you. Brag about Him.
He healed you. Brag about Him.
He called you by name. Brag about Him.




Because of God you are in Christ Jesus, 
who has become for us wisdom from God. 
In Christ we are put right with God, and have been made holy, 
and have been set free from sin. So, as the Scripture says, 
‘If people want to brag, they should brag only about the Lord.’” 
~1 Corinthians 1:30-31

1 comment:

  1. This is so true; however, people some how like to take credit and brag that they accomplished things that only God could do.
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete