Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Walk the Walk: On a Volcano in Nicaragua


Two roads diverged, not in a yellow wood, but in my spiritual journey. 
There are two paths, it’s really true!

One of these trails is taking you downhill, which doesn’t seem too bad. 
It’s seems like an easy walk on your tired knees. 
You can feel the wind whipping by you as your pace quickens. 
Watch out though
If you go too fast, you’ll tumble forward. 
Bruised and broken, you’ll be down in the dumps- both literally and figuratively. 

The other trail is uphill and it’s steep. It looks challenging 
and your chest gets tight just thinking about it. 
Your calves begin to burn as you push onward. 
You probably get tired and feel like stopping. Maybe you’re afraid 
if you stand up too straight, you’ll fall over backwards. And every few steps, 
off to the left or right, are mini-trails. They linger, tempting you to take an easier, 
but less direct course. Exhausted, but strengthened, you reach the top. 
And waiting for you is a breathtaking view.

Can I tell you that it’s the steep path you should be on? 
It’s the way to go, the trail to follow. 
It’s tough and seems more like a curse than a blessing, 
but your reward is waiting on top of that mountain.

It’s a reward that no man can buy or place value on. This gift? 
It’s life, Life everlasting. Peace and assurance. Hope. Trust. 
It’s relaxation in the Consistent Father. It’s blessings
It’s love, more deeply than you have ever felt. 
It’s happiness, the ear-to-ear-kind-of-smile. 
It’s jump-up-and-down-joy
It’s take-your-sweet-time-patience

It’s heaven and it is perfect.

Choose the steep hill, challenges and all, and you’ll find God at the top. 
He’s calling us, saying, “Choose life in Me, my children, and then come home.”

~~~

I wrote those words a few months before my Senior missions trip to Nicaragua. On one of our last days there, we had a “leisure day.” I put that in quotes because my leisure day consisted of hiking up a volcano. 

No, I’m not kidding. And no, I didn’t bring my good sneakers.

Nevertheless, as I’m climbing this steep volcano with a crazy incline, it hit me. I literally stopped walking and felt like I would fall over backwards. I was speechless. God was so funny to open my eyes to this steep-hill-theory and then make me walk the walk.

I laughed aloud. I kept climbing. Calves definitely burning and chest quite tight. However, as I reached the top, the view was indeed spectacular. The group could see lakes and whole cities from where we stood. We saw the beauty and could appreciate it better with our new perspective.



Yup, I took this picture:)



When the time came to walk back down, I was a little fearful. Didn’t I say how going downhill was the dangerous one?!

Some group members held hands, some angled their feet funny, and some fell down. My friend’s sister fell like 4 times. And to make us sound like bigger wimps, local construction workers were carrying (by hand) heavy blocks to be laid as a walkway. They carried these blocks up and down the volcano.

I noticed though, that no one was falling up the volcano. Sounds stupid, right? But when you serve God and are chasing after Him, He has your back. He’s helping you, supporting you, sustaining you. But when you turn your back on Him and deliberately do your own thing, why should God support your sinful actions? Don’t get me wrong, He still loves you and is calling you to return to Him... But if you aren’t for God, then you’re against Him. No one can serve two masters. (Matthew 6:24) I don't want to be against God. So I'm going to climb the steep hill, no matter how hard, for my reward is up there.



I took this one too! So breathtaking...

I lived it. On an old volcano in Nicaragua, I practiced what I preached. It was one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I ever had. And I’m thankful. I’m thankful that God choose to reveal to us glimpses of His goodness and helps us climb the steep hill.

4 comments:

  1. What an analogy. Well put.
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Susie!
      I still think back to this post quite often. I wrote the analogy BEFORE I lived it, which is so funny to me. God made me physically and spiritually "walk the walk."

      Delete