Saturday, October 6, 2012

Please, Never Stop Giving



Quote:
“One thing I ask of you: Never be afraid of giving. There is a deep joy in giving, since what we receive is much more than what we give.” ~Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa: 
Mother Teresa was born on August 26, 1910 and died on September 5, 1997. In her 87 years of life, she came to be one of the most admired women in the world. This wasn’t because she was a celebrity, with millions of dollars- but because she cared. She cared for the poorest of the poor. She received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979, but asked that the $192,000 (which I’m assuming was the prize money) be given to poor people in India.

Thoughts: 
Giving. Compassion. They are such beautiful words. There really is an unspeakable joy that comes when you give of yourself. I like giving to others and be sneaky about it. 

One time, I was at IHOP, and I heard this single mom ask about a special they were having for some kids meal. The waitress explained that the special was actually over already. The mom's face broke my heart as she looked for something cheaper to order for herself so she could afford her and her daughter's meal. I took $10 out of my wallet and went up to the front, where you pay for your meal. I asked the host to please tell that woman to order whatever she wanted, because her meal was covered. I also asked the host to not say that the money came from me. I'm not saying this to brag, rather to tell you, PROMISE you, that you will get an incredible joy from giving to someone else.

When we give, we are sacrificing our own desires and needs for someone else. 

Giving is a hands-and-feet-of-Jesus-kinda-thing. 

Relevance:  
I feel that everyday there are opportunities to give, to bless, to inspire. Most times we just move too quickly to notice.  Compassion is contagious

I dare you to do something for someone else today. 

The day is not over yet- there is still time. 
Hold the door open, fold that basket of clothes, unload the dishwasher. 
Leave a big tip, use kind words, and smile at that person you always see on your way to work. It’s usually not anything big or earth-shattering; it’s just something simple. 
But the simple things add up, though it’ll feel more like they’re multiplying. 
Trust me.

Going to put some dishes away now... What will you do? 




If you'd like to comment on this blog and don't want to create a username...

Click "Anonymous" as the way to leave the comment.
And then, at the end of your comment, just leave your first name or initials- 
some way for me to know who you are :) 

I'll leave a comment- so you can see what I mean!

Remember: I want to hear your thoughts on the quote! Does it remind you of something? What will you do to bless someone today?

Feel free to share! I'm trying to create an online community here...

Blessings...
Vanessa

7 comments:

  1. I love this quote! It's amazing to think that- when you give, you actually get blessed too. This reminds me of an old post of mine about giving!

    To find that post:
    -Click "June" on the sidebar.
    -Click "Be Sneaky"... that's the title of the post I'm referring to!

    Hope to see more comments:)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, at your age this is one of coolest things you can learn. We have done this for years. The coolest part is, the person/persons never knowing where, how it came to be. Just a Jesus thing. ( and the reward is truly awesome)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's something that has been done for years- and it's so important that we don't forget it. I love when they don't know where the gift came from because, like you said, it seems like a Jesus thing. There's a verse in the Bible (Matthew 6:3-4) that says when you give in secret- our Father will give the reward!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it is hard to give; especially when you do not have very much that you can give..

    A few years ago there was a time when I found $100 dollars in a parking lot, and I really wanted to keep the money because I needed it at the time. However, I just could not do it- so I asked around and found the person who had lost the money. On my way home I was beating myself up over returning the $100 because I really needed it...

    Later that week I was given a gift of $750 dollars, and to this day I believe that the only reason why I was given $750 dollars was because I had returned the $100 to its rightful owner.

    The blessings you receive from giving extend past emotional, and spiritual satisfaction, espicially if you give sacraficially. Every time I have given somebody something when I did not have much to give, I was always blessed with a gift far greater than what I had originally given.

    I believe that people who give not only bless all those around them- but also allow themselves to be blessed by God. I also believe that the giver will always receive a gift greater than what they had given.(This could be a financial, spiritual, emotional gift or any other type of gift) Especially if you give not expecting a reward or recognition.

    As always I enjoy reading your blog posts and hope that you continue keep more updates coming! Great job with this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! I loved where you said that the giver always receives a gift greater than what they had given. It's amazing how God blesses us when we give- far beyond our expectations. (Because we should be giving, expecting nothing in return.)

      Thanks for your comment Jonathan!

      Delete
  4. You know me, I love to give to help people. It is just a feeling that words don't really do justice. Love you.
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! What a gift it is to give.
      Love you too!

      Delete