Saturday, October 20, 2012

When Your To-Do List is Too Long

You do not want to hear my to-do list for the next few weeks.
It's scary and unending. I'm usually busy, but now I'm extra-busy.
In fact, I really don't even have time to be writing this, but if I read one more article on childhood vaccinations- I may just throw this water bottle sitting on my desk... :)

The thing about to-do lists is they make me stressed. I think about every single little thing that has to get done. I have to study, I have to work, I have to babysit, I have to say Yes to absolutely everything, I have to go here and then hurry and go there... I have to practice and read this book and write that essay.. And at some point I'm supposed to eat, sleep, and live a healthy life.

I have all these things I have to do. And sometimes, it becomes so common that it stops feeling like living. And feels more like prison. I know it's not. I'm just saying that sometimes it feels like it.

To-do lists make me feel so very tiny, like I never accomplish anything.

So, how about making an It's-Done list? 
Things that have already been accomplished.. 
Trials that God has already brought us through..
Miracles He's already performed..

It's-Done:
*an essay
*Science test
*clean room
*redeemed, debt-is-paid
*wrapped in His goodness and grace

I could go on, but you get the idea.

My point is that God is always working in our lives, despite how long our To-Do lists are.
And it's important to take a few minutes and reflect on all that He has already done.

There's a Psalms that I just absolutely love and you should go read the entire thing. But I'm going to post two verses as a quote for this post.

I told myself that every time I got stressed or worried, I would write this verse down:


Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, 
You will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth You will again bring me up. 
You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.
                                                          ~Psalms 71:20-21

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the verse and/or making an It's-Done list...

Feel free to comment as "Anonymous" and then just put your initials or name at the end of your comment.

Blessings...

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa, this is so often how I feel. However, lately, I really don't have a "To Do List", so I'm thinking about the "It's Done List." As far as the Scripture, I will hang onto this for myself. Keep writing and sharing.
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you're using this time to focus on Him and what He's done. Isn't it so much better looking at the miracles He's brought you through- rather than the things you want to accomplish on your own? I think this can be a life-changing idea if we strive to put it into practice.

      Yes, hang onto the Scripture. Our God is Solid Rock.
      Love you!

      Delete