Monday, June 4, 2012

A Fireplace Revelation


      There has been much talk of revivals this past week. It’s funny how God brings things together- always for His glory. All this talk reminded me of a quote I’d read awhile ago, which talked about how revival, essentially begins with YOU. Not a super-spiritual service. Not a special prayer. Just the simple desire to be transformed and consumed by our amazing God. 

Here’s the quote: 
"Kneel down and with a piece of chalk draw a complete circle all around you - and pray to God to send revival on everything inside the circle. Stay there until he answers, and you will have revival!"
~Gipsy Smith, aka Rodney Smith
       All of this reminded me of something I had written a few months ago, which is what you find below:
**
Today I woke up early and decided to restart the fire in the wood burning stove that we had going last night.
I turned the gray coals over and they glowed orange. I had never tried to rekindle a fire before, but had seen my parents do it tons of times.
I grabbed some newspaper, small pieces of wood, a lighter, and my patience.
As soon as I got the newspaper going, it would be out again. The wood chips too, went out right before they really gained any momentum. After a few more minutes, I got a bit optimistic. This looks great, I thought. So I grabbed an average size piece of wood on top. However, it didn’t catch. I tried and tried, but the wood,  like the newspaper, got burnt out just when I thought it got going.
My mom came down and helped me. After about ten or more minutes, a lot more newspaper, more kindling, and some cool little wood-stacking method- TA DA! A big spark. 
Yes! We have fire, I thought. Then, it dimmed again. My mom added more kindling and said, “There. That outta do it.” I stared at the fire, begging it to keep burning. Then I said something, which I realized later was actually pretty profound. I said, “You’d think the log would want to catch fire after all that stuff we’ve put in it.”
Woah, in that statement is a lesson. God sits, putting in so much work. He gives us simple things and we catch fire, but then burn out. God sits there, being His Patient Self for months. YEARS. He continues to build in our lives, blessing after blessing, and He watches. And with our big selves, we refuse to light. We proudly say, “I’m too busy for this” or “Not me, God.” God keeps trying. He blows His Holy  Spirit, (as all fires need some oxygen!) hoping we’ll see and learn and ignite. But we still don’t! We say, “Have Your Way, God,” but then refuse to light when He brings challenges. When faced with obstacles, we cave and our lights dim. But then, suddenly, in a moment that seems like magic, we ignite. We see just how long God’s been working, just how much He’s been working. And we want it, more than anything.
God, thank you. Thank you for early mornings and fireplace revelations. Thank you for showing me. Consume me, God. Let Your Holy Spirit come, that I’d catch fire. Jesus, I want it. I want Your Fire to be upon me, that I could help ignite others. Let my soul see all that You’ve done for me. I want it God, that overwhelming, all-consuming Fire. I want it more than anything.
**
       All this revival talk had made me even more determined. I want to seek God above everything else. In fact, I wanna seek Him alone. I want God to change me, from the inside out. I want to be on fire for God. I want to be radical. It seems weird and kinda out of character for me, but God desires for me to be radical for Him. And I desire it too. Revival isn’t some rare and unattainable event; rather, it’s something that has to happen inside each one of us, as we decide to follow Him and do whatever He asks.

Click on the link below to listen to a beautiful song about wanting more of God!




No comments:

Post a Comment