Saturday, June 2, 2012

Gifts, In Abundance


I wrote this late yesterday/ early this morning:

Today was one of those days. No, not one of those bad days, but one where all the little things that make life beautiful- really stood out.
My day started at 6:06 (I have a weird need to wake up at times like this...) I began to get ready for the little preschoolers’ graduation picnic.
Kids can be tricky at events like this. They either love you or cling to their moms like their lives depend on it. Well, some kids clung. However, I felt loved. I felt like my name was constantly being called. I must’ve hugged nearly every student! I played with my little buddy on the slide and swings. It was bliss. I love those moments when I’m lost in the joy of being absolutely silly and carefree, thinking of absolutely nothing else.
It rained for about 5 minutes or so during the picnic. But not even that could stop me.
I came home with feet covered in dirt. To you this may sound gross, but this reminds me of how hard I played and worked today.
I finished my homework (thank you, online summer class) in about ten minutes. I finished an amazing book called “Kisses From Katie.” I recommend this book to absolutely everyone.
I took a nap. (I never take a nap!)
I had pasta salad, which I’m pretty sure I could eat every day and never get tired of it.
I got ready for the other graduation. I was a little late, which was probably the only downer on the day. If I hadn’t slept so long...
The graduation was beautiful and reminded me so much of my own graduation one year ago. When I think about it, it seems like the year blew by. Yet, I feel like I have learned and grown so much in that one little year. Tonight gave me some perspective.
Perspective, I think, should  make you thankful. I’m thankful for the vision, the clarity, and the chance to grow.
My phone died. I got told I looked tan. (Those never happen to me!)
I drove home in the pouring rain. I stopped for a Slurpee. 
Yes, it was almost 10 p.m.
Yes, I had my Jesus music playing.
The cherry on top is that I found my favorite DVD, The Incredibles, which had been missing for over a year. Of course it was actually on the DVD shelf. 
Of course we watched it. 
Lost, then found. Just like me
And here I am, writing down the events of my day at 1:15 in the morning.
There wasn’t anything extraordinary about my day; rather, the ordinary things became beautiful with a fresh perspective. God loves us and wants to be with us. He doesn’t want us to be lost, especially when we’re so close. He knows and cares. He wants to change our perspective.
God, I am so thankful for the gifts- today, and everyday, and for opening my eyes to them. Slowly and surely, I’m learning. I’m learning to trust You, the Father who gives good gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment