Friday, June 22, 2012

There's A Reason For the Closed Door


Lately, I’ve been struggling with the whole God-opens-doors-thing. I don’t have a problem with it; in fact, I LOVE when God opens doors for me. I guess the part I’m not so crazy about is when He closes some doors. Actually, that’s the part I’m really having a hard time with.
I see something that is so good. Everything about it looks good. No, not perfect- but good. And sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. Just like Satan and Adam and Eve way back in the beginning. Genesis 3:6 says, “When the Woman saw that the tree looked like good eating and realized what she would get out of it—she'd know everything!—she took and ate the fruit and then gave some to her husband, and he ate.” It looked like good eating. She thought it was good for her, but it wasn’t. That one piece of seemingly good fruit, brought about the fall of man. Now, I am not saying that just because something looks good, it’s automatically bad. I’m saying that you should be listening to God’s voice and following what He commands so that you aren’t off on your own, finding some good-looking fruit that is actually harmful.
Anyways, back to the doors...  So once I make up my mind to go through this door, it closes. Hard. And in what feels like the most ironic and cruel way. Thoughts like, “Really, God?!” were running through my head a lot.
Then, God shows up, as He always does. No, the door is not open, but once again He provides the vision. On a lonely ride home from work, it hit me softly. I felt God’s presence begin to comfort and assure and teach me.
I felt quite clearly in my spirit that night that a good thing- given at the wrong time- isn’t really a good thing. Something can be amazing, but if it’s you trying to call the shots in your timing, then how is is really a good thing? It’s not. If God has something else for you, for that moment, then the “good” thing isn’t the right thing for you then.
A cell phone charger is good, right? In fact, it’s vital to the cell phone’s survival. Suppose someone gives you a phone charger and you don't have a cell phone... What good is that charger to you if you don’t even have a cell phone?
See the connection? 

God has a plan. And good and perfect plan. He knows when you need things, and He will not forget.
Sometimes God opens doors because He wants you to learn what He has for you. 
He opens because the time is right.
Sometimes God closes doors because we’re not ready for what is on the other side. 
The timing isn’t quite right yet.
Has God refused to open a door in your life like He has in mine right now? Maybe we need to check ourselves and see if we’re ready for what God would have in store for us.
In Isaiah 43:19, God says, “For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.”
God is preparing you for something new. He’s aready started. Can’t you see it? God’s making a way, when there doesn’t seem to be a way. Get ready. Get ready because the door is about to open. And it may swing wide, changing everything you’ve ever known.


2 comments: